Monday, July 23, 2007

Web 2.0 Awards


OK, I wrote the last post on GoogleDocs, but posted it using Zoho, so this time I'll write it using Zoho. Right away I see many more tools/features to explore. So: I chose to explore Picasa, but was put off by the fact you have to download everything. If I want the use a photo application that is actually on my computer I'll use Photoshop. I liked PicNik much better: it uploads your photos and works with Picasa, Flickr and Facebook, so it seems much more versatile. However, as far as manipulating photos, it's pretty dry. Crop, rotate, fix red-eye, just the basics that any software that comes with your camera will do.

I had a huge amount of fun playing with music sites such as Pandora and LastFm. They are both sort of a Reader's Advisory for music. Just for fun I asked Pandora to find me songs in the same style as Barenaked Ladies; it found dozens and will play all of them all the way through (no thirty-second samples there!). I asked LastFm to find artists similar to Kula Shaker, and it also found just what I was looking for.

I'm not sure yet as to what use we can put these sites in the library, unless people are looking to play as I did. I think the potential is there though, any minute now.

No comments: