Monday, July 30, 2007

Podcasts

OK, I like how you can listen to a podcast of a library program. I like the potential of reaching out. I like how FeedBurner played every podcast I asked it to. I really dislike having to download Apple Quicktime; it doesn't work awfully well, and my computer refused to use it no matter how I tried. I generally don't like Windows Media Player either, but FeedBurner uses it and it worked every time. I found it interesting that in order to hear the podcast on WMP via Feed Burner I had to click on the RSS feed button, and once I did I had graphics as well as audio (The WMP "skins" make me dizzy though). Not only that, but the podcasts were way more up to date! The casts listed on Podcast.net were so old I didn't think they were worth trying, but when I clicked on the RSS feed I got a better list of options. I didn't choose too well, however; I didn't get much out of the podcasts I listened to: one was a budget hearing press release from Ohio -- very interesting if you are in Ohio and care about you library's budget, but I'm not. Just for fun I tried several Harry Potter podcasts, too. They were fun, but I found I didn't really know what was going on. Sort of like coming to class 1/2 hour late! I can see why you'd want to access it regularly, just to stay on track.
That being said, years ago (1999, I believe) I listened to a concert posted on an internet site that was experimenting with broadcasting over the radio (before the days of satellite radio -- am I dating myself or what?). It wasn't called a "podcast", because in the old days we didn't have that word, but that's what it was. I was so excited about listening to a concert broadcast over the radio in New York and having it show up on my little IBM at home that I hooked up the computer to my stereo and taped it. How much easier it is to download what ever I want now!

No comments: