Monday, July 30, 2007

The End?

Oh, no! "23Things" can't be over! I can't think of a traditional class in which I have learned as much as I have using the internet and web 2.0. I particularly enjoyed making and posting to my blog, and wrote about half of my August Question Authority column using Zoho. I can't believe how easy it all was. My absolute favorite sites were on the Web 2.0 Awards winners lists. The music sites were terrific. And manipulating photos is a hobby I enjoy; it was great to be able to post photos and videos of the Berlin Branch summer activities, sharing is so easy!
I think what I have learned these past weeks will be put to good use in my work at the library. I feel more comfortable with information services moving at a faster rate than I ever imagined. I was afraid, when I started, that I would be swept away (or drown) in the new technology, but was pleasantly surprised by the ease of use and the phenomenal opportunities out there. I hope that my library system will able to employ some of the features of web 2.0, especially podcasts, video uploads on YouTube and even creating a wiki to reach our patrons. I also think offering ebooks and downloadable audio would enhance our customer service and increase our patronage.
I enjoyed my experience exploring the "23 Things" and would readily take another such program if one were offered. The pace was just right for me, allowing me to explore some sites quickly and others (less familiar ones) in a leisurely way. Some I know I am going to use on a regular basis, and some I'd like to explore a little more. I feel I am "in the loop" and have stepped into the twenty-first century!

1 comment:

laura said...

You did it...and in record time! I enjoy getting a taste of the Berlin Library when I read your blog.